Thursday, June 4, 2009

T-shirt Inspiration

I love One Tree Hill...

Today I was watching One Tree Hill reruns and saw an awesome shirt on Peyton. I had never seen the episode before, but had seen the shirt online where people were trying to figure out how it was made. I was really inspired and spent about an hour thinking about it. Then I dug into my pile of clothes for cutting, pulled out a polo and got to work.

The polo started out as an XL (Jordan gave it to me because it's too big for him). I began by cutting the collar and the button placket (is that what it's called?) off to create a scoop neck. Then I resized the shirt like I did in the first Whitney Sews episode. the went back to cutting. I turned it into a racerback then cut the "straps" off and sewed them back on shorter. When I was cutting the back I got the idea of using the printed on label as the fabric to wrap around the newly sewn on straps. It feels so great to have the shirt turn out exactly how I pictured it. Usually when I just start cutting, no matter how much I think I have it figured out in my head, it doesn't turn out like I'm hoping...but I'm really loving this shirt!

So here's the inspiration...













Here's how mine looks...
Before-




















After-




















As I was trying to find photos of the actual shirt I came across an interview with the costumer for One Tree Hill. Here's what she had to say about Peyton's style...

"Peyton- I’m standing here between a rack of Peyton’s clothes and a rack of Brooke’s clothes, and the only thing that is the same is their cheerleading uniform. Hilarie – I just love her. Working with her (has) been wonderful. For her, she’s more of the do-it-yourself girl. She’s so into music, art, she’s such a rich character that there are a lot of different things to draw on. Sometimes she’ll just be in a plaid flannel shirt because she’s painting. Some days she’ll be in a concert T-shirt. We have to find the right concert T-shirt. I do alter them a lot. We’ll take a men’s concert T-shirt, and Hilarie will put it on. She’s also very, very slender, so I’ll taper them down to her figure. We come out of it with kind of a one-o-f-a-kind rock T-shirt. I take something and then turn it into my own piece of clothing.

In episode 412 (the episode where Peyton and Lucas have a cookie dough fight), I took a long-sleeve Gap T-shirt, lavender with grey print, and we completely turned it into a racerback-looking halter tank top thing. It was a long sleeve, looser top, and we just kind of worked with it. I did it with five T-shirts, since it was the cookie fight episode.

We were on the search to find the perfect pair of Peyton jeans. There’s an amazing brand of jeans at Barneys called
Cheap Monday. It’s a Scandinavian design group. They do a really cool grey jean. It’s fitted, skinny, and stretches. I’ve used those on her quite a bit."

No comments: