Monday, September 7, 2009

Makin' Hats

I've had a lot of people ask me why I make hats...and my answer is always "because I'm cheap." I then explain that I wanted a new hat but didn't want to go out and spend a lot of money on a new one. I was at school the weekend I decided that and spent hours on the internet trying to learn how to make a hat, which turned out to be easier then I thought. I finally found a pattern I liked and made it using a corduroy skirt I had that didn't fit. It turned out pretty good, so I adapted the pattern so it was more to my liking and made another...and another...but the end of the week I had made 10 hats!

So I love that style of hats and so did a lot of my friends. I'm proud to say that there are people wearing my hats all the way from California to Oklahoma to the United Kingdom! I'm not trying to brag, but it's so exciting that my boredom and being cheap one weekend turned into something pretty cool!

Eventually I got a little tired of making the same type of hat over and over...so last week I sat down with some graph paper, a calculator, measuring tape and a pencil and made a new hat pattern. I based the new pattern off some of the parts of the newsboy hat and also on the English style riding hats you see in movies and on covers of books like The Saddle Club. The first hat turned out ok, I had to correct a few measurement errors though. I have now gotten the pattern exactly how I want it.

Anyway, I wanted to share that story about how I started making hats before I put up pictures of the new hat.












No comments: