Thursday, November 10, 2011

Saving Money Tips

If you know me then you know I'm all about saving money! Why would I pay more then necessary when I can easily save money??

Being so cheap thrifty is one reason why I do so much sewing and have my etsy store.  During my last year of college I really wanted a newsboy hat but didn't want to go out and spend $20 on one at Wal-Mart.  So I learned how to make them myself :) 

About 50 newsboy hats and a ton of other projects made out of sheets and recycled clothing later and here we are...

I wanted to share some of my money saving, budget friendly tips with you all.

1.  Shop at thrift stores/charity shops.  You can find sheets, lace, clothing, curtains, etc to use for supplies.  You can get lots of yardage for a low price and some pretty awesome prints as well!

2.  Google to find fabric outlets in your area.  Simply type in your town name and fabric store.  You may end up finding an outlet where you can get great supplies for a low price!

3.  Sign up for store newsletters.  You can get coupons almost every week from stores like JoAnns, Hobby Lobby, Michaels, and Hancocks.  When there is a supply you need often (like interfacing) you can plan ahead, use the coupon and save quite a chunk of change.

4.  Shop yours and friends closets.  Look at unwanted items for the material and supplies they can provide.  A pair of camo pants and that pillow case with a stain on one side can turn into a cute newsboy hat!

I hope you like these tips!  Feel free to share some of your own.  Here's a video that goes into a little more depth on each of my 4 tips.

No comments: