Monday, December 3, 2007

Field Trip to the Pow Wow

Yep, you read that right. I said pow wow.




















For one of the classes I'm taking I was required to go to a pow wow on Saturday and write a story about it. I had never been to a pow wow before and had no idea what to expect. A friend of mine went along with me and we nervously entered the arena where the pow wow was taking place. It turned out to be quite an experience. We missed the dancing competition, which disappointed us, but we still got to hear some of the drummers and see the dancers in their regalia.



































There were booths surrounding the dance area where Native American artisans were selling there handmade items. They were selling everything from jewelry to wooden jewelry boxes. We stopped for awhile to watch a young man carving a tiki style totems. Come to find out he goes to the same university as me. He was really nice and I ended up interviewing him for my paper.






















I ended up having a lot of fun at the pow wow. Seeing everyone there and the pride they have in their heritage made me want to trace my heritage back and see if I have any Native American ancestors. I hope I get the opportunity to go to another one soon, and hopefully get to see the dancers compete next time.

No comments: