Saturday, April 19, 2008

Awareness Month

I've been having a lot of trouble sleeping lately, especially now that I'm sick, so I decided to spend some time on etsy. While looking around I ran across a shop called Bigger Dreams. Everything sold in the Bigger Dreams etsy shop is made by young adults who have autism. The store is monitored by a mother who has two autistic children and all the proceeds go to help the young adult who made the item. I think this is a really great thing.

I had never even heard of autism until Clay Aiken was on American Idol, you may laugh about him, but he does a lot to help children with autism. Then because of him I ended up checking a video out of the library called Autism is a World. It's a great documentary that I would recommend to anyone wanting to learn more about autism. Then there's one person you may have heard of when talking about autism. Jason McElwain. Steve Hartman did an Everybody Has a Story segment about him and eventually everyone has talking about him. Even the president met him and asked if he could call him J Mac.










April happens to be Autism Awareness month. So spread the word :)

1 comment:

Courtney said...

Just another reason why Clay Aiken rocks!!