Saturday, March 21, 2009

The Internet is an Amazing Thing

If you would have told me 10 years ago that before I graduated from college I would be running my own small business I would have laughed at you. In fact 10 years ago I still hated computers and was determined to never have a job dealing with computers or money...and look where I am now.

I spend hours each day on the computer chatting with friends on facebook, looking at crafty sites to get inspiration, uploading my own photos, updating my facebook/blog, or working on my etsy...and I love it! I can take my beautiful red lappy anywhere I want *within reason* and still be connected with the rest of the world.

Without the internet I would never have started making hats and bags in the first place, let alone making them to sell. Who would have ever thought that my first online sell would be to a young lady in the United Kingdom?!? I definitely wouldn't have ever thought that I could use my love of thrifting as a means of making a couple of extra dollars by selling vintage shoes *sold another pair today!* One other thing I never thought possible was earning money for blogging. Granted ads aren't making me rich...not by a long shot, haven't gotten a single check yet...but I'm earning a few pennies here and there.

With the internet I can be in contact with teachers, family, friends, and basically the entire world. I am able to, as I like to call it, get back to my roots by learning native crafts such as hand weaving, beading, and knotted jewelry making and about other Native American arts and crafts all through the internet. (I'm not actually Native American, I just feel a strong connection there...more on that some other time.)

So I guess you could say that I've come full circle and have learned to appreciate the internet in a way I never thought was possible. Especially since without it I would never have gotten to know people like Mary Ann, Mary Catherine, and Keiko.

No comments: