Tuesday, March 23, 2010

First Love

My whole life I've heard people talk about their 'first love.' People ask others who it was or where they are now and other questions like that. I've always tried to figure out who my first love was...and I can honestly say that I didn't know. Until today. Tonight I realized my first love. It just so happens to not be a person, but a place.

Silver Dollar City.

My first love was Silver Dollar City. Just ask anyone who knew me growing up after the age of 10. For 13 of the past 14 years my family and I have visited SDC several times a year. I can truly say that I consider SDC to be a second home to me.

This year is the 50th anniversary for Silver Dollar City. Which is a big deal. It was going to be an even bigger deal to me. This year SDC was going to go from being my second home to my actual home. I was at a point in my life where nothing was holding me to any single place. One phone call to set up an interview away from becoming a 'citizen' of SDC. Then something in my life drastically changed.

After an interesting turn of events I fell in love with my best friend. We started dating on our shared birthday of January 5th. Before the end of that same month we knew we're going to be together forever.

I was no longer in that point in life where nothing was holding me to a single place. Jeremiah understands my love for SDC and told me he's willing to wait for me to have my year working at SDC...and I was going to do it. However I realized that putting my life on hold like that is crazy.

So Jeremiah and I are getting married May 15, 2010. We are excited to be starting our new life together and I go weeks at a time without thinking of Silver Dollar City (which is kind of a big deal for me) but some days I can't stop thinking about it. Jeremiah knows this and has offered to take me to SDC this summer. I turned him down. I know that we'll be busy settling into a new place and money will be tight.

So like with all first loves you eventually have to move on...at least for a year or two :)

No comments: